McMahon Lodge was founded as a primarily Military Lodge by General Sir Henry McMahon, Chief Commissioner for Baluchistan, in 1908 in Quetta, India, now Pakistan. The Consecration Ceremony on12th March 1908 was attended by the eleven Petitioners and forty nine other brethren from nearby Lodges and further afield. Right Worshipful Brother H.E. General Viscount Kitchener, District Grand Master of the Punjab, conveyed his hearty good wishes and success to the Lodge.
In 1935 a massive earthquake occurred in Quetta. The 20,000 who died included two members of McMahon Lodge. The Masonic Hall was almost completely destroyed and most of the paperwork relating to the Lodge was lost. Apart from a summons for the August 1908 meeting the minutes of Lodge meetings are only available from 1943, leaving the Register of Members as the main source of information from 1908. It now contains the names of over 1000 past and present members of the Lodge. Following the Partition of India, a year later in 1948 the Lodge moved to London. While the balance of membership continued to be mainly military, in the years following there was a gradual influx of civilians associated with defence services, both from relevant ministries and commercial companies. In the last twenty five years there had been a tendency towards members coming from a police or security background but our membership has now diversified greatly in recent years welcoming members from all walks of life including Photography and Information Technology. The Lodge meets for regular meetings in Mark Masons Hall, St James Street, London, and hosts events and socials around London and the South of England.